Supporting children and education

There are several links to advice on ways to help maintain service children’s education on GOV.UK.

The Service Pupil Premium provides extra funding to state schools, free schools and academies attended by service children in England.

The School Admissions Code provides specific information on the school admissions process for service families. This can be found at paragraph 2.18 of the Code . In addition, if returning from overseas, you can apply for school places for your children in advance.

The Ministry of Defence support fund  provides support for schools with service children of frequently moved or deployed parents.

Find out whether your family could benefit from MOD childcare vouchers .

Having access to healthcare

Having access to modern and advanced clinical care is essential. The National Health Service (NHS),  Ministry of Defence (MOD), charities and welfare organisations are working together to provide this, wherever you are.

Find out about healthcare through the NHS for the armed forces families .

MOD and Department of Health (DoH) support services  information can be found on GOV.UK.

Get healthcare advice for you and your family when relocating within the UK or returning home from an overseas posting.

The NHS can provide mental health support through the Big White Wall service . This service is available for free to serving personnel, veterans and their families.

Having a home

Having a comfortable home is an important part of your well-being. Whether you are living on or off base, renting or thinking about buying a home, there is advice and support available to you. 

With the Forces Help to Buy scheme  your family can borrow up to £25,000 interest free over 10 years to help create a deposit for a new home.

Another way to get financial help is through the government’s affordable home ownership schemes .

Own your own home provides a range of schemes that make home-buying more affordable.

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) provides serving personnel and their dependants with civilian housing information for those wishing to move to civilian accommodation at any time in their career, and for those during resettlement to assist with the transition to civilian life.

Getting financial advice

Managing your money now and the future can be confusing for any of us, but you can get get advice and support specific to those in the armed forces community. 

Find out more about financial and pension advice and support services for the defence personnel and families that you may be able to take advantage of.

The Armed Forces Railcard offers your family up to 1/3 off rail fares.

Joining Forces is 3 credit unions working together to provide savings accounts and loans to the armed forces and their families.

Supporting spouse/partner careers and education

Supporting spouses and partners aspirations is also part of the covenant, as we recognise the importance of family within the armed forces community.

Organisations who have signed the Armed Forces Covenant have made their own commitments to supporting reservists, spouses and veterans. Find Forces friendly employers in your area.

The Spouse Employment Support Trial  is designed to help support eligible spouses in finding employment that matches their skills, knowledge and experience.

There are various initiatives under DWP’s enhanced access to Jobcentre Plus services that may benefit you. 

You may be able to claim National Insurance credits  for time spent accompanying your partner abroad.

As a spouse / partner of serving personnel, you can be considered for early access to the Work Programme  which provides support, work experience and training for up to 2 years to help people find and stay in work. Those who have been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for at least 3 month are eligible. 

You can nominate your employer or an organisation  for a silver or gold award under the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) which encourages employers to support defence and inspire others to do the same.

Forces Compare – is founded and ran by veterans. We help those who serve, or have served, to find the best insurance and finance options through our panel of specialist lenders.

Families Federations

Each service has an independent Families Federation which can offer you support and advice. They work with your service and every level of government as your advocate.

Families Federations meet regularly with key government departments including Department of Work and Pensions, Department of Education, Department of Health and the Ministry of Defence to review issues that are affecting the serving and family community. If you have concerns please get in touch with these organisations.

Naval Families Federation (Royal Navy and Royal Marines)

Army Families Federation

Royal Air Force Families Federation

Support groups

Find out about the SSAFA bereavement support  and Family Support Groups  available to you and your family.

For any help or support not listed above feel free to email or telephone us on the contact details provided on our contact page.